The European Union funds two projects implemented by the Italian Cooperation for the development of qualitative health services and the improvement of health conditions of vulnerable population in Eastern Sudan. The Italian Cooperation is for the first time implementing partner of two initiatives funded by the European Union under the program “Strengthening Sudan Health Services (SSHS) ”:
- Promoting Qualitative Health Services in Eastern Sudan – PQHS (started in January 2014)
- Improve the Health Status of Vulnerable Populations in Eastern Sudan- IHSVP (started in January 2015)
Total budget : 13,1 M € Objective: Improve access and quality of health care. Geographical focus: Kassala, Gedaref e Red Sea States. Beneficiaries: 1,8 inhabitants in the three States, State and Federal Ministries of Health, Academies of Health Sciences, health staff and front line providers. Description of action:
- Refurbishing existing health facilities and building staff housing units.
- Integrated training of front line care providers on Basic Package of Health Services and training of newly recruited human resources for health (via Academies of Health Sciences – AHS e Continuous Professional Development – CPDs).
- Capacity building of managers at State Ministries of Health and Locality Health Administrations (LHA).
- Increase the availability of medicines and medical consumables and enhance their rationale use, at locality level.
- Design and implement a system for emergency care at localities and at State level.
- Strengthening the Health Information System.
- Increase community health awareness, supporting health education and sensitization programs.
- Civil works: evaluation and technical design and planning.
- Support to the Academies of Health Sciences and the Continuous Professional Development through the provision of materials and equipment.
- List of medical supplies for the health units.
- Drugs supply and distribution (Medical Supply Fund).
- Evaluation and planning of a new support model for the national Health Information System.
- Development of medical emergency response system (focus on maternal health).
Complementary activities Planned new program “Improve the health Status of the vulnerable population in East Sudan” foresees integrative interventions to those carried out under PQHS initiatives with new elements:
- Community health,
- support to water management,
- fight against female genital mutilation.